BizTalk 2016 Feature Pack 1 Error 5003.Regsvcs failed for assembly Microsoft.biztalk.deployment.dll

Problem description

When I was installing BizTalk Server Feature Pack 1 in a developer environment at a customer, I got the twice error: Error 5003.Regsvcs failed for assembly \<BizTalk Install Path>\Microsoft.biztalk.deployment.dll. Return code 1. And once the error Error 1712.One or more of the files required to restore your computer to its previous state could not be found. Restoration will not be possible. Didn’t sound very promising…

My environment was installed in the following order

  1. BizTalk Server 2016
  2. BizTalk Server 2016 CU1
  3. BizTalk Server 2016 CU2
  4. BizTalk Server 2016 FP1

Research journey

After some research on the internet I found the following options.

Error 5003 in BizTalk Server 2013

  1. Set MSDTC options
  2. Re-register Microsoft.BizTalk.Deployment.dll
  3. .NET framework could be corrupt.

BizTalk CU2 Installation Failure – Error 5003

  1. Repair BizTalk Server
  2. Repair BizTalk with Antivirus disabled
  3. Uninstall and reinstall MSDTC before repair

First I Checked MSDTC options, tried repairing BizTalk Server and re-registering Microsoft.BizTalk.Deployment.dll. When re-registering Microsoft.BizTalk.Deployment.dll with Regsvcs, the following error appeard; System.TypeLoadException – Could not load type ‘Microsoft.BizTalk.ExplorerOM.RecurrenceType’ from assembly ‘Microsoft.BizTalk.ExplorerOM, Version=3.0.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35’. When exploring the original dll and the one that should be installed and registered with the Feature Pack 1, the RecurrenceType en RecurrenceSchedule are missing. These are part of the Advanced Scheduling feature.

The last error brought me back to the BizTalk Server Feature Pack 1 blog page on the BizTalk Team Blog were I found the remark from the BizTalk Team; “Try to download the MSI again (it seems like the one you got was corrupt) and install it again. `So when I did that I found out that the latest download had CU2 included. If you look at the details on the properties of the installer, you will see that I had a different version which I downloaded earlier.

Solution

What I did was the following

  1. Download the latest version of BizTalk Server Feature Pack 1
  2. Uninstall FP1
  3. Uninstall CU1
  4. Uninstall CU1
  5. Repair
  6. BizTalk Server 2016
  7. Restart Server
  8. Install FP1 (with CU2 included)

And voila, everything is working fine!

Key take-away

Always download the latest version directly from the Microsoft site when your installing!

This can help preventing a lot of unnecessary headache.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *